CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Ivan's appointment.. Ivan 1, Club foot, 0

So, we went to see doctor Tebor in Rochester for a normal check up for his club feet. This was a new-to-us doctor that we had to see due to MVP sucking, but I think it will work out for the best.. (He seems smart and nice)

Ivan and Jill occupied the car with me as we went on our adventure together.. Ivan had his taggie, a Carter's blanket with the normal tag that tells you who made it and what it's made from, with him and he was gold.. He fell asleep for about an hour, while Jill and I chit chatted about stuff... (Don't ask me to remember, as I was in a slight fog that day due to stress)

We found the office, easily, and ventured in.. The waiting room was quite large and clean, which was a nice change to Dr. Polomino's office which was dirty and smelled rank.. I filled out some forms, answered some questions and was told to wait in the waiting room.. So, I got out the goldfish crackers for my little man, and Jill and I kept him busy.. We sat there for maybe 10-20 minutes, and alas, we were called in! YAY, that was QUICK!! The three of us walked in, following the nurse, and were led to the scale to be weighed. Ivan wanted NOTHING to do with it, so as soon as I let go of his hands, he took off running past us, through the office towards the nurses station thingy.. Jill ran one way, the nurse another, and he was caught! The poor nurse who had caught him, picked him up, and he immediately started crying.. The poor kid!! So, I scooped him up and he calmed down long enough for a quick weight and then off we went to the exam room...

The nurse tried to get his height by having him lay down on the paper that covered the exam table, but he was also, not interested in that.. She we improvised and she took the paper ran it vertical to his back and made marks.. 36 inches tall.. Now, as far as accuracy, I'm not sure.. We'll double check that later.. The nurse got her info, and left the room.. While she was gone, Ivan had to pee, so we took out the Potette Plus potty and handy liner bag for a quick sit and as soon as I had tied the bag to dispose of it, the doctor came in with an intern.. He was super sweet, very calming, and seemed compassionate with the situation.. He asked about his treatments so far, when he stopped wearing the brace on the 23 hour schedule, which I completely forgot, and then had him walk the hallway so he could observe his feet in action.. Ivan was not happy about this as I walked in front and he followed like a sad duckling wanting his momma to stop and scoop him up..

We got back in the room where Dr. Tebor had Ivan and I sit on a chair while he rubbed his tiny feet and gave us the low down.. He definitely has Idiopathic clubfoot, bilateral.. He also has knock knees, which may (more likely) or may not (less likely) go away as he grows.. He told me that his feet look good for the treatments so far, that Dr. Bob Cady, had done a fabu job. (Thanks Dr. Cady) He also told me that poor Ivan will more than likely have one pure Flat Foot, his right foot, and that nothing can be done to treat that. He spoke of past theories and treatments that had no success in that treatment, so they wont even attempt putting arch supports and such in his shoes.. He also mentioned that the long term use of the special bracing was controversial.. That some doctors want the children to stay in them until they reach 4 years old.. He felt that until he's 3, would be sufficient enough.. So, maybe very soon, in 6 months, Ivan can sleep shoe less!! I am going to cry that day! I already feel the tears filling my eye sockets!!

Dr. Tebor was a good doctor, and after all was said and done, Ivan was ok.. He survived a scary doctors appointment, and a horribly long drive.. Which is great, considering we have to venture out to see him again in 3 months, on Dec 18th, right before Christmas, YAY!

I know Ivan doesn't know any different... He has been going through this since he was 2 weeks old.. I just feel horrible, as if it's my fault. I want to take his current, and future pains, away from him, so he can live a normal childhood, and accomplish everything and anything he wants.. I know he will do great.. I want him to be treated normal by his class mates, as he will look a little different, maybe wont be able to keep up with the faster runners, or may be on the shorter side, but he is a bright light, a great little man!

If he was given to me to teach me a lesson, I am eager to listen and learn.. Ivan's my little hero!

When life gives you an obstical, access it, try it and if you fail, or you get hurt, drink a little and try again.. Sometimes it's just the fear of the unknown that prevents success the first time around!

0 comments: